3 Reasons Why Your Home Needs Water Treatment Solutions
Clean and fresh water is essential for our daily needs, from drinking water to washing our hands with it.
The water that runs out from faucets and showers may contain chemicals that could harm our bodies. Below are examples of these harmful chemicals.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there’s no known safe level of lead in a child’s blood.
Lead levels of 10 micrograms or more in a deciliter (about half a cup of liquid) of blood in infants and young children can negatively impact their ability to learn. Infants and young children are particularly vulnerable to lead exposure as their growing bodies absorb lead more easily compared to the bodies of adults. Lead ingested by a mother can also affect her unborn child.
“In adults, the strongest scientific evidence to date suggests low levels of lead exposure may cause a small increase in blood pressure,” Statistics Canada said. “The current blood lead intervention level is 10 µg/dL. This is the level at which action is recommended to reduce exposure. However, there is evidence to indicate that negative health effects are occurring at lower levels of exposure than previously thought.”
The CDC added that at much higher blood lead levels, lead can damage the kidneys, blood and nervous system and lead to coma, convulsions or death.
Lead can enter tap water when service pipes that contain lead corrode. Corrosion is defined as the wearing away or dissolving of metal as a result of a chemical reaction between your house plumbing and the water that runs through it. The following are the factors involved in the extent to which lead enters your tap water:
- Water chemistry, including alkalinity, acidity, the types and amounts of minerals in the water
- Amount of lead that water comes into contact with
- Temperature of the water
- Amount of wear in the pipes
- Period of time that water stays in the pipes
- Presence of protective coatings or scales inside the plumbing materials
Homes that were built before 1986 are more likely to have lead pipes, solder and fixtures.
Chlorine is available in gas, solid and liquid form. The liquid form of chlorine is used by municipal water systems as a water additive to kill harmful bacteria.
Exposure of small amounts of chlorine in drinking water isn’t harmful. The taste and smell of chlorine, however, make drinking from the faucet off-putting.
Taking a long bath or shower also increases a person’s risk for chlorine gas exposure. According to the CDC, the extent of poisoning caused by chlorine exposure depends on the following aspects: amount of chlorine, how the person was exposed and the length of time of the exposure.
The following are the signs and symptoms during or immediately after exposure to dangerous concentrations of chlorine:
- Blurred vision
- Burning pain, redness and blisters on the skin if exposed to gas
- Skin injuries similar to frostbite can occur if it is exposed to liquid chlorine
- Burning sensation in the nose, throat and eyes
- Tightness in the chest
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) that may be delayed by a few hours
- Nausea and vomiting
- Watery eyes
“Long-term complications may occur after breathing in high concentrations of chlorine. Complications are more likely to be seen in people who develop severe health problems such as fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) following the initial exposure,” the CDC said.
3. Calcium & Magnesium (Hard Water)
Hard water is defined as water with high dissolved minerals, particularly magnesium and calcium. The National Research Council (National Academy of Sciences) considers drinking hard water as beneficial in contributing a small amount toward total calcium and magnesium in human dietary needs.
Hard water, however, has its negative effects. Below are some of the negative effects of hard water.
1. High Cost of Soap or Detergent
Hard water results in high cost if you’re using most of your residential water for washing, be it your hands, hair, your dishes or clothes. With hard water, more soap or detergent is needed to get things clean. Hard water requires more soap to produce a lather.
2. Mineral Buildup
Hard water causes mineral buildup. This mineral buildup isn’t just caused by calcium and magnesium. Other minerals – aluminium, barium, iron, manganese, strontium and zinc – in tap water also contribute to this mineral buildup.
This mineral buildup can be seen in faucets – in the area where the water flows. This isn’t just ugly to look at but it also causes bacteria to buildup, it can restrict the water flow and clog the pipes. This mineral buildup also leaves spots on dishes, flatware and glassware.
3. Destroys Home Appliances
Just like the faucets, mineral buildup can also happen in appliances like water heater, dishwasher, coffeemaker and other home appliances that heat tap water.
When hard water is heated like in a coffeemaker, solid deposits of calcium carbonate can form. That’s the reason why people pour vinegar into the pot of the coffeemaker – to eradicate this mineral buildup.
These solid deposits or mineral buildup can reduce the lifespan of the appliance, increase the costs of heating the water and lower the efficiency of the equipment.
4. Scratchy Clothing
Minerals left by hard water on clothes can shorten the lifespan of your clothes, cause discoloration and leave clothes hard or feel harsh on the skin.
Water Treatment Solutions
Water treatment solutions can remove up to 99.9% of harmful chemicals and hardness in your water. Water filtration solutions include water softeners and chemical removers.
Simply Soft Water Softeners removes all hard water through an ion exchange process at high salt efficiencies. Simply Pure Chemical Removers, meanwhile, removes lead, chlorine and other volatile organic chemicals, including the following:
- Carbon Tetrachloride
- Vinyl Chloride
- Ethylene Dibromide
Call today and protect your family, and save on appliance maintenance